AMCI Basic Mountaineering Course (BMC) 2002
Sample BMC Final Exam
I. Multiple Choice
1. The immediate care given to a person who's injured or suddenly taken ill.
a. medical care
b. dental care
c. first aid
2. A meeting which is as important as the Climb
a. group meeting
b. pre-climb meeting
c. committee meeting
3. A Magnetized needle that respond to the earth's magnetic field
4. A large number of filaments running the whole length of the rope
5. Temporary markers used to guide others who are following
b. trail sign
c. this way
6. The signal for stopping
a. 3 long whistle
b. 2 long whistle
c. 1 long whistle
7. Responsible for bringing up the rear
a. Trail master
c. Team Leader
8. A metal snaplink which is used as connection between a range of climbing equipment
9. The direction from one place to another
c. magnetic north
10. Used to take or measure bearing
c. magnetic north
11. Used to plot or follow bearing
a. magnetic north
b. true north
12. The ability to perform physically for long periods of time without becoming exhausted
13. Contains all essential supplies for more common injuries or illness
a. kikay kit
b. first aid kit
c. mess kit
14. Mountain which was climb by the Founders on February, 1983
a. Mt. Apo
b. Mt. Banahaw
c. Mt. Halcon
15. The complex of physical, chemical and biotic factors that act upon an organism
16. Used for signalling purposes, is an essential part of climbers' paraphernalia
17. Should be light and compact and packed inside a waterproof container
a. sewing kit
c. sleeping bag
18. The longitude is the measurement on a map from
a. North to South
b. South to East
c. East to West
19. Th observance of desirable or proper behavior whenever on a climb
a. climb preparation
c. climb ethics
20. Directly in-charge of a group of trainees or inductees, shall preside in meetings of the group
a. Training Director
b. Team Leader
c. Group Leader
21. A condition in which the body's internal core has been lowered significantly to cause illness. This leads to apathy, collapse and even death
22. The most knowlegeable and most experienced person on the route
b. trail master
c. roving team
23. A meeting among all participants in a climb is required to help us assess the quality of the climb
c. emergency meeting
24. A knot used to secure loose rope ends after another knot has been tied
25. This is often used for joining two ropes of different thickness or diameter
a. clove hitch
b. sheet bend
c. timber hitch
II. True or False
__ 1. Smoking is allowed only at designated areas in the campsite
__ 2. The use of military uniform and paraphernalia, or those resembling such items are allowed during a climb.
__ 3. Drinking alcohol is strictly not allowed during training climbs
__ 4. Trainees may only participate in climbs organized by the Training Committee
__ 5. Acts of vandalism would deface the natural beauty of nature and should never be done
__ 6. Clothing is also a factor in surviving outdoor
__ 7. Lights out shall be strictly enforced and observed
__ 8. During ascent on steep slopes, rest is 30 minutes.
__ 9. During descent, 5 mintes rest for every hour of descent.
__ 10. The fastest member or person with heavy load, should set pace of the group.
__ 11. The Dial is graduated clockwise in degrees from 0 to 360.
__ 12. An Index pointer is where the bearing is read.
__ 13. Body conditioning is not needed in Mountaineering.
__ 14. The Law of Interdependence states that all forms of life are interdependent.
__ 15. The Trail Master shall preside at the pre- and post-climb meeting.
__ 16. The ATL shall support the TL in carrying out his duties and responsibilities to the expedition.
__ 17. Littering is strictly prohibited on a climb.
__ 18. The scale for a 15-minute map is 1:50,000.
__ 19. Orientation is the science of determining your exact position on the earth
__ 20. A compass measures and translates barometric pressure into altitude readings.
Types of backpack
3 types of rope
3 layers of clothing
3 Basic Laws of Ecology
First Aid for Hypothermia
First Aid for Heat Exhaustion
Take nothing but pictures,
Leave nothing but footprints,
Kill nothing but time.